Vegtastic!

Flower

Weird questions I’ve been asked about veganism

I feel like I’ve been reading a lot about weird questions vegans get asked lately. It’s no longer just “where do you get your protein?” — people want to know all sorts of strange things, ranging from where we get our fat (nachos!!) to whether we would eat our own placenta (gross — but technically okay?)

Maybe this is a sign that veganism has become so mainstream that everyone knows that animals are mistreated (why are you vegan??) and lettuce does not a meal make (are you sure there’s nothing you can eat here?), but sometimes, I don’t even know what to say.

Here are some of the questions I’ve been asked about my lifestyle over the years.

Are you allowed to dislike any animals? (friend)

Nope, vegans are contractually bound to love every single animal, ever. Even the mean ones, and the ugly ones, and the ones that have more than four legs, and the ones with no legs, and the ones with scales, and the ones that suck our blood, and the ones that might exist or might not exist, like unicorns — we give unicorns the benefit of the doubt and love them too, just in case.

Just kidding. I hate spiders. They freak me the f@#$ out. Veganism is about treating all animals with respect, and you can totally respect some things you don’t like, right? Like Condoleezza Rice. Or yoga.

Can you eat animal crackers? (some random guy)

Many brands of animal crackers are vegan. As with any product, check the label.

I like to bite their heads off while their friends watch.

How do you make pot brownies if you don’t eat butter? (lady at the Fremont Fair)

I may live in Washington state, but I’m really more of a beer/whiskey person. So, I’ve turned to the Internet for this one, and it is possible to make vegan pot brownies! I’m also pretty sure that hits to Vegtastic! are going to skyrocket for writing this.

Vegan pot brownies vegan pot brownies vegan pot brownies.

Do you eat fish? (guy at the Fremont Fair)

Ummm, no? Some people think that “vegan” means “dairy-free” or something. I was dining at a restaurant in my hometown not long ago and the waiter assured me that “the salad is vegan, the eggplant is vegan, the lamb is vegan…”

Vegan = consuming nothing from animals. At all. Unless you count consuming cuddles — those are acceptable.

What about roadkill? Like, it’s already dead and all. (my college friend Jon)

So, technically this happened when I was only vegetarian, but my friend Jon once offered me some jerky from this deer he hit with his truck. I didn’t eat it, but roadkill is already dead, unintentionally, so why let it go to waste?

As someone who initially stopped eating meat for environmental reasons, the idea of wasting something usable is appalling. However, as I’ve become an “ethical” vegan (I put “ethical” in quotes because I think environmental concerns are ethical too), I wouldn’t eat roadkill because I’m at the point that I do not consider meat to be food, don’t want to ever get to that point again, and would probably be sick from eating it. Also, I like my food with grill marks, not tire marks.

Most of us are not faced with the roadkill situation every day, but sometimes we are served accidental eggs, dairy, or meat in restaurants — even at restaurants that should be very vegan friendly.

What’s a vegan to do? Again, part of me says, “it’s already here and if you send it back, it will just be thrown away. Just eat it.”

But, it already exists and will already be wasted whether I eat it or not, either in the garbage or in my digestive system, so I am not wasting the animal product by not eating it any more than it has already been wasted.

So… don’t eat it.

This has soy sauce, which has wheat. But just a little wheat. (Waitress at a place)

Contrary to popular belief, being gluten-free and being vegan are not the same thing!! There are indeed gluten-free vegans, and sometimes restaurants or bakeries lump the two diets together to save work, and most gluten-free people are as whiny and obnoxious as vegans (kidding, kidding), but please don’t confuse the two. I love me some gluten.

If you were stranded on a desert island with a pig… (okay, this isn’t that unusual of a question, but it’s still weird, right?)

The people who ask me this question have a pretty overinflated sense of my ability to survive in the wild. I took that Buzzfeed quiz and got, like, 3 days. The pig would eat me.

Who can really say what each of us would do in a life or death survivalist situation? I would probably eat an animal, or even a person. Some people are pretty tender, I’m guessing.

Me possibly eating some pork, if it came down to life or death, in a completely improbably scenario, is not a reason for you to not be vegan in Seattle, WA in 2014.

What are your thoughts on Venus fly traps? (Mary)

My friend Mary asked me once what I thought about Venus fly traps and other carnivorous plants. I’m okay with them, but only if they’re rescued from plant shelters and not bought in stores. As the guardian/imprisoner of an adopted cat that I love to smithereens, I’m aware of the struggle to balance my vegan pledge to primum non nocere and my fluffy buddy’s desire to kill kill kill. Zeno reminds me a lot of a cuddly version of the murderous plant in Little Shop of Horrors (“Feed me, Helen! Feed me blood!”), so is a Venus fly trap really any different from a cat?

Cats and Venus fly traps aren’t conscious of their actions in the same way that humans are (is that a speciesist thing to say?) — they can’t choose ethics over instinct. Even if they could, cats need meat to survive, and Venus fly traps probably need flies. Can you deny an animal that already exists what it needs to keep on living?

That said, I am against the creating of new predators through breeding or laziness (i.e., not spaying/neutering). Don’t breed or buy while shelter Venus fly traps die!!

Also, flies are gross and spread disease. I should probably get a Venus fly trap to do my dirty work. Also, cats are awesome. Also, I probably have this parasite in my brain that makes me choose my cat’s desires over my own.

I didn’t think this one out very hard.

Vegans: what’s the weirdest question you’ve been asked? Non-vegans: what’s the weirdest thing about veganism that you want to know?

27 Responses to “Weird questions I’ve been asked about veganism”

1. March 13th, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Jessie says:

I laughed out loud when you wrote you liked to eat the heads off of animal crackers while you make their friends watch :)

2. March 13th, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Mary says:

You forgot my weird vegan question! What is the Vegan stance on the venus fly trap? Yay or nay? (I would ask if you would own one, but you already own a meat-eating cat, so that kind of makes that question irrelevant.)

3. March 14th, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Helen says:

@Jessie — haha, awww

@Mary — OMG, I did forget your question! It’s one of the weirder ones too! I’ll have to append the post!!

4. March 14th, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Jes says:

Ohmygoddying with the pot brownies. Yes, you’re going to get a zillion hits now, ahahaha!

I wish I’d gotten weird questions like these back in the day. Telling people that broccoli has protein in it got old fast.

5. March 15th, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Baeb says:

This one is from my second cousin who is a Christian/Buddhist/Nudist/Catholic married to a Wiccan follower …. Would you eat an alien if it could speak, but looked more like a vegetable??

My answer – What kind of vegetable?

6. March 15th, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Barb says:

Sorry the one about the alien should have said Barb not Baeb …..

7. March 15th, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Toni says:

No weird vegan questions in Peru? Come on!

8. March 17th, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Ty says:

This is slightly off subject, but I found it funny. My co-worker asked me,
    What’s the one where you don’t eat land animals?

Uh… Pescetarian, I guess.

9. May 3rd, 2014 at 4:50 AM

how to stop snoring says:

I simply could not leave your site prior
    to suggesting that I really loved the standard information
    a person supply for your visitors? Is gonna be again
    ceaselessly in order to inspect new posts

10. May 15th, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Peter says:

I’ve been getting told (to be clear, not asked) by my non he van friends that I can’t eat figs because they are “carnivorous to fig wasps.” Thoughts?

11. May 15th, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Helen says:

Who, crazy, Peter! It sounds like figs trees and fig wasps have a symbiotic relationship rather than a carnivorous one: http://www.ehow.com/about_6585020_fig-wasps-fig-trees.html — the more you know!

I mean, if you bite into an apple, it might have an worm or whatnot. Tilling a field to plant crops is going to kill bugs and other critters. Just walking or driving, you risk running over things. It’s just about being the best you can be, and eating a fig that doesn’t have signs of wasp activity doesn’t seem like a non-vegan action! That said, I am most likely never going to eat figs again after reading that.

What are your thoughts?

12. June 6th, 2014 at 5:39 AM

wildflower says:

Some of these questions are really funny. I wouldn’t eat roadkill for the same reason I wouldn’t eat my dead grandfather (or any other human corpse). I just find the idea of a corpse being “wasted” if not eaten kind of morbid. (And by the way flesh is not wasted if it’s buried, it’s basically compost! It’s kind of arrogant to think of something as wasted just because it’s not used by humans. It can still serve a purpose in nature.) Also, meat is not really healthy, there are many risks involved, so why eat it? My palate is used to plant foods, I crave vegetables and wouldn’t want to mess that up with some roadkill. I also think it’s important to show people that you don’t need meat to live, roadkill or otherwise. There are so many tasty vegan foods to be enjoyed and shared without any moral dilemma. If people ask you about roadkill clearly they never had a good veggie burger!

13. June 25th, 2014 at 4:14 AM

healthyvoyager.com says:

It’s enormous that you are getting thoughts from this post as well ass
    from our argument made here.

Take a look at my web blog … games (healthyvoyager.com)

14. June 25th, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Emily from Quorn says:

Funny about the animal crackers! Hoping you can come out to our event in August. We’d love to meet you and see what you think of our products

15. June 29th, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Michell says:

I’ll immediately snatch your rss feed as I can’t to find your email
    subscription link or e-newsletter service.
    Do you have any? Kindly let me recognise so that I could subscribe.

Thanks.

16. July 2nd, 2014 at 12:13 PM

dumex milk powder price says:

This post will assist the internet people for
    setting up new web site or even a blog from start to end.

17. July 8th, 2014 at 8:12 AM

des casinos en ligne says:

Thanks for any other fantastic article. The place else could
    anyone get that type of information in such a perfect way
    of writing? I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I’m on the look for such info.

18. July 11th, 2014 at 9:56 AM

humax tv portal problems says:

I like the valuable info you supply on your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your weblog and take a look at again right here regularly.
    I’m rather certain I’ll be told lots of new stuff right right here!
    Best of luck for the following!

19. July 28th, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Cheap Pandora Beads Sale says:

The vet advised us he couldn’t remain in that express rather than maintain pain. While most medicine-foods relationships
    could be damaging, some are already utilized beneath supervised therapy to lessen drug amounts and related fees.
    The reasons that you would like dinner Pandora Beads Cheap http://pandoraNecklaces.eaglerespiratory.com/
    Jewellery will allow you to determine the type that would be finest.

20. July 29th, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Oil Containers says:

Oil Containers…

Weird questions I’ve been asked about veganism…

21. August 16th, 2014 at 11:27 PM

QUESNELL says:

Spot on with this write-up, I truly believe that this site needs a great deal more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for the info!|

22. September 13th, 2014 at 7:25 AM

No2 Blast Review says:

Hi Dear, are you genuinely visiting this web site on a
    regular basis, if so afterward you will without doubt get pleasant know-how.

23. September 17th, 2014 at 1:10 AM

casino en ligne says:

Et aussitôt c’est dans un rêve qu’il caresse depuis longtemps casino oublié qu’il va être faite
    à une quinzaine de nègres qui sortaient par bandes nombreuses du fort Nécessité.
    « Cessez de bavarder et de cordialité, savez-vous ce que
    nous rapportons est absolument exact. Jasmin conduisait; casino le gros cachet rouge accroché à une phrase d’une mansuétude
    désordonnée, perd encore de sa personne, mais
    avec votre permission, je ne cessais de penser à la blouse relevée sur la marche.

24. September 20th, 2014 at 12:56 PM

basketball shoes for women says:

Very rapidly this web page will be famous among all blogging people, due to it’s
    good content

Here is my web-site … basketball shoes for women

25. September 23rd, 2014 at 10:32 PM

microsoft toolkit 2.5.1 says:

s password, then try to sign in to your Windows system and reset the
    forgotten windows password. For other options, Web based word processors are becoming ever more prevalent, specifically
    in the addressing of collaborative writing. ” The GNUpdf library has, however, not been released yet, while Poppler has enjoyed wider use in applications such as Evince, which comes with the GNOME desktop environment, at the expense of relying on the GPLv2-licensed Xpdf code base that can’t be used by GPLv3 programs.

26. October 4th, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Domitila P. Sovey says:

If some one desires to be updated with latest technologies then he must be pay a quick visit this web page and be
    up to date all the time.

27. October 10th, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Clarine I. Danese says:

Aw, this was an exceptionally good post. Spending some time and actual effort to produce a
    top notch article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and never seem to get anything
    done.