Vegtastic!

Flower

Appetizers from Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen

Let’s see: it’s October 1. Rent’s due (done). Gotta figure out what I’m going as for Halloween (done). Mary’s and my moratorium on September shopping is over (hello, new pants). What else?

OH CRAP! VEGAN MOFO 2012 IS HERE!

20121001-191128.jpg

I had some friends over the other night for drinks before dancing (soul night!), and used this as an opportunity to get a teensy bit of a head start by preparing the Provincial chickpea puree (p. 7-8) and eggplant caponata on polenta crostini (p. 17-18) from Donna Klein’s Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen.

The chickpea puree is like a lighter hummus — there’s no tahini, just chickpeas, garlic, lemon and a bit of olive oil blended silky-smooth, with parsley stirred in. The caponata is a little tangy-sweet due to vinegar and sugar, and makes a great gluten-free appetizer (though I honestly would just serve it with baguette slices next time).

20121001-191142.jpg

I’m not really into Italian food, which is why I’ve been hesitant to open this book up, but there are enough Greek, Spanish, French, and African influenced recipes in the book to make it a well-rounded collection.

Tags: vegan mofo 2012

10 Responses to “Appetizers from Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen”

1. October 2nd, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Joey says:

Looks gorgeous – how do you make the polenta crostini?

And is there a baba ganoush recipe in there? I think that might be my favourite dip of all time!

2. October 2nd, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Jes says:

I’ve always wondered if that book was good–I’ll have to see if a library around here carries it. The apps look really good, definitely a good way to start an evening!

3. October 2nd, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Dawn says:

I tried the chickpea puree and it was delicious! Wish I could’ve tried the caponata too as it looked lovely.

I think I had that book (or another of Donna Klein’s?) that I never really used, and now I’m kicking myself for giving it away. Can’t wait to see all the other things you cook up this month!

4. October 2nd, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Crissie says:

I have to say I really love this book, and I’m glad you made something from it! The marinated lentil salad on p. 87 is one of my favorite light meals.

5. January 9th, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Elliott Closson says:

i love appetizers because they are one of the tastiest part of a meal aside from the dessert.;

My very own website
    <a href=" http://www.foodsupplemendigest.com/vitamin-d-deficiency-treatment/

6. May 22nd, 2014 at 7:14 AM

rea says:

This design is steller! You certainly know hhow to keep a reader entertained.

Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved
    tto start mmy own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Great job.

I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you
    presented it. Too cool!

7. May 31st, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Natisha says:

Unquestionably believe that thhat you said. Your favourite
    justification seemed to bbe at the internet the easiest factor to keep in mind of.
    I say to you, I ceftainly get annoyed even as people think about issues that
    they just don’t know about. You ontrolled to hit the nail
    upon the top and also outllined outt the entire thing with nno need
    side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be again to get more.

my web-site cheap shopping online clothes, Natisha,

8. June 25th, 2014 at 3:08 PM

amazon Sexercise book says:

Very nijce blog post. I definitely appreciate this
    website. Keep writing!

9. September 14th, 2014 at 3:18 AM

where to get ninja cooking says:

This particular will certainly allow anyone to cover it partly to be able to allow
    out steam when essential. Planning ahead for your cooking involves asking what the occasion is about and
    what food should complement the occasion. They want something more ‘ like a brown and crispy meal straight from the microwave perhaps.
    You will just have a little more broth in the bottom of the
    pan.

Feel free to surf to my web site where to get ninja cooking

10. January 4th, 2015 at 2:06 PM

http://sunnyhostel.com.ua says:

If you are planning an expansion to your property its simple
    that you need to acquire and then install additional security sensors in order to protect
    an extended section of your own house. The next
    room is an area where Rapunzel paints all her murals. Seal the gaps with the help
    of a trim molding and you are now ready to enjoy the benefits of your system.